[Attempto] ACE View and Protege

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 17:42:39 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Elmar Drewitz
<Drewitz at fast-reporting.de> wrote:

> ACE View is a Plugin for Protege 4.0 Beta. Due to a lot of advantages, I
> would like to use Protégé 3.x.

I'm just curious, what are the advantages?
I'm aware that Protege 3 has currently many more plugins,
and the SWRL support is better. But this might change soon, and if
I've understood correctly, the developers of Protege 3 will soon stop
working on P3 and concentrate on P4.

Btw, here is a comparison:

http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/index.php/Protege4Migration

> So is it possible (perhaps on my own risk) to implement the plugin in
> Protégé 3.4? Or are there serious obstacles?

ACE View depends quite heavily on the OWL API (http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/)
which is used by P4. The OWL API, however, is quite different from the
Protégé-OWL API (http://protege.stanford.edu/plugins/owl/api/index.html) which
is used in P3. So, I'm afraid it's almost impossible to do this port.

I started working on ACE View in November 2006. Back then there
was no P4 yet, so I tried to implement the plugin for P3. Unfortunately,
I got stuck very fast, and the mailing list was of no help either:

https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/protege-owl/2006-November/000741.html

So this is my (only) experience with implementing a plugin for P3. ;)

--
kaarel