[Attempto] RACE negation less than

Jason Livesay ithkuil at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 10:59:31 CEST 2009

Hello.  I am hoping someone can help me figure out how to properly write
axioms and queries involving 'not' and 'less than' in RACE.  I am using the
web interface at http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/tools/.  I am trying
different combinations but 'not' and 'less than' never seem to do what I
expect.  Perhaps there are other words I can use.  Is there a way to state
that all wines are either inexpensive or expensive?  This is what I have
entered and the response (I cannot understand why it will not say that
BlendY is inexpensive):
[Axioms]

Every wine that costs at least 50 dollars is expensive. Every wine that
costs less than 50 dollars is inexpensive. Every wine that costs less than
50 dollars is not expensive. There is no wine that is not expensive and that
is not inexpensive. Every wine that is not expensive is inexpensive. BlendX
is a wine that costs 50 dollars. BlendY is a wine that costs 20 dollars.

[Query]
Which wine is inexpensive? (If I ask which is expensive, it gives the result
I expect, BlendX.)

[Response]

overall time: 1.302 sec; RACE time: 0.08 sec

*Axioms*: Every wine that costs at least 50 dollars is expensive. Every wine
that costs less than 50 dollars is inexpensive. Every wine that costs less
than 50 dollars is not expensive. There is no wine that is not expensive and
that is not inexpensive. Every wine that is not expensive is inexpensive.
BlendX is a wine that costs 50 dollars. BlendY is a wine that costs 20
dollars.

*Query*: Which wine is inexpensive?

*Parameters*: *si* *ot* *dodt* *sti*

Query cannot be answered.

The following parts of the theorems/query could not be proved:

   - is/are
   - inexpensive

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.