[Attempto] patterns for ACE

Martin Luts martin.luts at eesti.ee
Mon Feb 9 08:54:04 CET 2009

Saluton!

Are there patterns / best practices available for using ACE sentences
and constructions for certain "everyday" use-cases, like giving
definitions?
I'm helping to create a cyber warfare dictionary and we are piloting
ACE, among Semantic Media Wiki and others. Lets take for example the
concept "Denial-of-service attack = is an attempt to make a computer
resource unavailable to its intended users". The type of definition
used here is giving definitsion of concept DoS by genus-differentia,
genus being here "an attempt/a cyber-attack" and differentia -
"(purpose is) to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended
users". First steps made, we came to:
A n:DoS is a n:cyber-attack.
#If it (shoul reference to DoS, not to cyber-attack) is successful
then some n:intended-users cannot use a n:computer-resource.
If DoS is successful then it is false that all n:intended-users can
use a n:computer-resource.

I very much appriciate if anybody can help me (and future users:) to
state some 5-10 patterns for main definition types.

All the best,
Martin Luts
eliko.ee Competence Center, researcher
skype: martinluts