[Attempto] @anaphoric reference

Tobias Kuhn t.kuhn at gmx.ch
Fri Jul 3 08:23:41 CEST 2009

Hi,

Another problem with proper names in apposition is that they can produce ambiguity if there are
verbs like "show" that can be transitive or ditransitive:

   (1) John shows a book.
   (2) John shows Mary a book.
   (3) John shows a man Bill.

"show" can be a transitive (1) or a ditransitive verb (2). Sentence (3) gets two possible meanings
if proper names as appositions are allowed. (I think that there are even more cases in which such
proper names as appositions can introduce ambiguity.)

Tobiss