[Attempto] combining sentences by temporal prepositions

Marco Luca Sbodio marco.sbodio at hp.com
Tue Jul 7 16:36:17 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm new to Attempto, and I hope not to make too obvious questions. I've
read part of the available documentation, and I've tried the on-line
ACEEditor (which is very nice, btw). However, it is not clear to me
if/how Attempto allows a user to combine sentence by temporal
prepositions such as "before", "after", "while".

Some examples:

after X reads D, X sends D to Y

before X sends D to Y, X must read D

while X reads D, X can modify D

As far as I unduerstood, ACE does not allow a user to express the above
sentences. Am I correct?

I found an old ACE Language Manual (Version 3.0, August 1999) [1], in
which there is a section "Time, Events and States", saying that:

[[
A future version of ACE will allow users to combine sentences by
temporal prepositions like before, after, and while.
]]

However, I cannot find evidence in the current documentation that this
has happened. Can you tell me what is the status?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
marco

[1] http://web.science.mq.edu.au/~rolfs/papers/ifi-99.03.pdf