[Attempto] RACE Web Service problem

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Wed Mar 25 10:30:20 CET 2009

On 24 Mar 2009, at 20:43, Calin Bindea wrote:

> I want to use ACE, particularly the reasoner RACE, as a natural
> language query interface to an ontology. The ontology was created
> using Protege and I converted it to ACE with the help of the "Ace
> View" plugin. Using the resulted ACE statements I would like to
> provide the user with the possibility of issuing simple ACE language
> questions. I tried to test using the RACE Web Service, but I keep
> getting an error: "time_limit_exceeded. Web service call failed". I
> only used 10 Axioms, which is a small part of the total number I
> wan't to use for the final version.
> I also tried running the "Pellet" reasoner on OWL data obtained by
> first transforming to ACE, then adding the ACE query and then
> transforming again to OWL XML with the help of APE, but I get an
> error because it apparently can not transform ACE questions using
> "What" to OWL.
> This project is part of my Bachelor degree assignment so I need to
> know as soon as possible if this approach can be used. Is there any
> way of running RACE locally? If not, how could I get around this
> problem?

Calin

As Kaarel already wrote it is difficult to answer without further
details. Please send me your axioms and your query. Be aware that I am
in vacation in Sicily and not permanently connected to the internet.

I just ran RACE successfully with 13 axioms and got an answer in .5
seconds.

The error message that you got is not generated by RACE itself, but by
its web-service. Try to submit your ACE axioms and your "what"
questions directly in the RACE web-client. Possibly you need to prefix
unknown words by their word-class. For details how to prefix see the
help text of the APE web-client.

Currently, RACE can only be used via its web-client. A public release
is planned for later this year.

Best regards.