[Attempto] Pellet vs RACE

Tobias Kuhn t.kuhn at gmx.ch
Mon Nov 30 12:33:56 CET 2009

Hi George,

There are several reasons for the fact that AceWiki uses Pellet instead of RACE (but we have some
plans to enable the use of RACE within AceWiki in the future).

First of all, RACE does not have a Java interface at the moment, which makes it harder to integrate
it into AceWiki.

Furthermore, performance would (potentially) suffer when using a larger subset of ACE (as the one
supported by RACE) than the OWL subset (as supported by Pellet). I agree that it would be desirable
that AceWiki can do reasoning within a larger subset of ACE than the one supported at the moment.
But already now, AceWiki can get quite slow when the knowledge base gets large. And switching to
RACE would enlarge this problem.

Another problem is that RACE does not provide (at the moment) an API for retrieving the set of
instances for a given class, or for extracting the class hierarchy.

Long answer short: AceWiki could in principle use RACE but it uses Pellet at the moment because of
performance and interface reasons.

Cheers,
Tobias