[Attempto] ape. request for one more uri parameter

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 16:53:32 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 13:34, Alex Shkotin <alex.shkotin at gmail.com> wrote:

> In our project we have about 1000 ontologies. Each keeping information from
> one article about rock samples. I have sent one before.
> Assigning URI for every ontology is fine. But then all OWL-elements
> (classes, properties, individuals) become internal.
> So when I import ontologies together for further processing elements are
> duplicated.
>
> It would be nice to have one URI parameter for ontology dictionary. To put,
> well, all of them in different namespace.
>
> Alex
>
> PS to keep it simple we may think that there is only one dictionary (for ex.
> m-w.com;) and all other ontologies refer to it.

Do I understand correctly that you assign a different URI to each of these
1000 ontologies, i.e. the URI is the name of the ontology, distinguishing
it from other ontologies? Now, because the APE's uri-parameter is used
as a namespace prefix for the OWL entity names each entity gets referred
to from different namespaces.

So you would prefer to have an interface that behaves like this:

$ ./ape.exe -name uri1 -ns uri2 -text "John likes Mary." -solo owlxml

<Ontology URI="uri1">
  <ObjectPropertyAssertion>
    <ObjectProperty URI="uri1#like"/>
    <Individual URI="uri2#John"/>
    <Individual URI="uri2#Mary"/>
  </ObjectPropertyAssertion>
</Ontology>

I guess something like this could be added at some point.
Until then the APE's uri-parameter should be treated as
just a namespace prefix and for naming the ontology some
other mechanism should be used (e.g. file name).
If I remember correctly then the URI-attribute of the
Ontology-element is set only because OWL 1.1 required
this. In OWL 2, ontologies can be nameless.

Hope this helps a bit,
kaarel