[Attempto] questions on OWL exported files and saving Ace Wiki versions

Tobias Kuhn t.kuhn at gmx.ch
Tue Sep 29 10:48:08 CEST 2009

Hi Bill,

Murray, William R wrote:
> Hi, Tobias, I finally got it running! I'm not sure
> exactly what fixed it, but I tried again to install
> Tomcat 5.5 and this time succeeded, and put the WAR
> file there along with ape.exe and it came up :)

That's good news. I am glad that it finally worked out.

> So my first questions about the running Ace Wiki are:
>
> 1. When I export my wiki to OWL and attempt to load it
> into Top Braid Composer it will be read but no new instances
> or classes appear. Is there an OWL browser someone has
> used with the OWL exports to view such exported files?

It used to work with Protégé 4.0 when I tried it several months ago. Does Top Braid Composer support
OWL 2.0?

> 2. Can I import a saved wiki export file (txt or OWL) if
> I need to go back to an earlier version?

No, AceWiki cannot import text or OWL files so far. However, your wiki data is stored in a folder
that has the name of the ontology inside of the folder "data". This folder gets automatically
created, probably in the home directory of Tomcat. If your ontology is called "test" (this is the
default) then the wiki data is stored in several files (having numbers as file names and each of
them stands for one article) in "data/test". You can simply copy this folder and replace it later by
an earlier version if needed.

> I tried exporting the example geography wiki and reading
> the exported file into TBC and could load that file but
> no new classes or instances appeared there either.
>
> In each case I expected to see classes such as owl:country,
> instances such as something:Canada and relations such as
> something:contains. But instead just the default OWL classes
> and properties appear, as if nothing were loaded at all.

Do these entities ("country", "Canada", "contains", etc) appear in AceWiki itself? By default just
an empty ontology is created when AceWiki starts the first time.

Cheers,
Tobias