[Attempto] reuse existing ontologies with Ace View ?

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 09:27:04 CEST 2010

Hi Jean-Marc,

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Jean-Marc Vanel
<jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to reuse an existing OWL ontologies with Ace View ?
> For example, how can I explicitely refer to foaf:Person from the FAOF ontology [1] ?

ACE doesn't provide support for namespaces, i.e. all the content words
used in a sentence refer to the same default namespace. Therefore
it is not possible to write something like:

(1) Every my:person is a foaf:Person and every foaf:Person is a my:person.

We have been thinking about adding namespaces support but haven't
found a natural (English-like) representation for that.
Do you have any ideas or preferences?

What would be easy to add to ACE and ACE View is full IRI support (at the
tokenizer level). Then you could write something like:

(2) Every person is a `http://foaf.org/#Person` and every
`http://foaf.org/#Person` is a person.

... and ACE View would consider 'person' to be in the default namespace
and 'Person' in the FOAF namespace. Would you be happy writing
sentences like (2)?

Note that currently the ACE tokenizer rejects tokens like
"http://foaf.org/#Person".

> Of course, it is possible to add a owl:SameAs axiom saying that my person is the same as foaf:Person .

Yes, as ACE View is layered on top of Protege, you can use all the Protege
functionality, e.g. add sameAs axioms in the Protege individuals-view.

Greetings from Tahiti,
Kaarel