[Attempto] Draft paper for discussion

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Mon Apr 26 17:59:58 CEST 2010

On 26 Apr 2010, at 17:21, Adam Wyner wrote:

> Good news!  Interesting.  I'll be looking to see what you do with the
> different classes of propositional attitudes....
> Right about translation of modal logic into FOL.  I was wondering when
> you all might get to that....  Same move can be made with temporal
> logic....  There are axioms too?  Can different axiom systems be
> substituted in?

Adam

There are only axioms for the accessibility relation between possible worlds. Depending on which deductions you want to allow you must enable/disable the axioms for reflexivity, transitivity and symmetry.  I have enabled all 3 axioms which allows for the following deductions provided that p -> p'

possible p <-> not necessary not p'
necessary p <-> not possible not p'

necessary p -> p'
p -> possible p'

necessary p -> possible p'

p -> necessary possible p'

possible possible p -> possible p'

sentential complement p -> sentential complement p' (e.g. 'John knows that 2 tall men sleep. -> John knows that a man sleeps.')

Regards.