[Attempto] Use of Prefixes with the Large Lexicon

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 17:59:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 17:31, Chris Spencer <chrisspen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using the large lexicon, but I'm noticing that APE still requires
> I explicitly tag most nouns and verbs with a prefix.
>
> For example, this fails to understand that "ostrich" is a noun, even
> though the lexicon only lists it as a noun.
>
> ./ape.exe -text "An ostrich does not fly." -cparaphrase
>
>    <message
>        importance="error"
>        type="word"
>        sentence="1"
>        token=""
>        value="ostrich"
>        repair="Use the prefix n:, v:, a: or p:."/>

In my case it works as expected:

$ ./ape.exe -text "An ostrich does not fly." -cparaphrase
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<apeResult>
  <duration tokenizer="0.009" parser="0.010" refres="0.000"/>
  <paraphrase>There is an ostrich X1.
It is false that the ostrich X1 flies.</paraphrase>
  <messages/>
</apeResult>

Did you recompile APE after replacing the lexicon file?

The download page says:

""You just have to replace the file `lexicon/clex_lexicon.pl' of the
APE package by `clex_lexicon.pl' contained in this archive.""

It should be actually added there that recompilation is also
needed in order to update the lexicon that is built into ape.exe.

--
kaarel