[Attempto] counting, maximum, sums

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Sat Dec 4 16:01:08 CET 2010

On 4 Dec 2010, at 15:14, Jean-Marc Vanel wrote:

> What I want to explore is the possibility extend ACE and DRS to capture such meaning.
> Let 's take again our ACE  sentence :
>
> If the number of the parts of a product X is N then the number of the workers of X is N.
>
> If now "the number of" is interpreted as "the cardinality of the set of", we could have this (extended ) DRS , where the new variable CD stands for the cardinality of the set of the D's .
>
> []
>  [D,E,CD]
>  relation(D,of,E)-1/7
>  object(E,product,countable,na,eq,1)-1/9
>  object(D,part,countable,na,eq, CD )-1/6
>  =>
>  [H]
>  relation(H,of,E)-1/19
>  object(H,worker,countable,na,eq, CD )-1/18

Jean-Marc

I think I finally understand what you want, namely that the numerical determiner of nouns can also be a variable, right? This would allow for the sentence

 If a product X has N parts then N workers produce X.

with the DRS

[]
  [A,B,C]
  object(A,product,countable,na,eq,1)-1/3
  object(B,part,countable,na,eq,N)-1/7
  predicate(C,have,A,B)-1/5
  =>
  [D,E]
  object(D,worker,countable,na,eq,N)-1/10
  predicate(E,produce,D,A)-1/11

This extension of ACE has been on our ToDo list for a long time but was never implemented.

Regards.