[Attempto] Relative sentence example in 6.6 DRS Report causes error

Joshua TAYLOR tayloj at cs.rpi.edu
Mon Dec 20 23:56:12 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Norbert E. Fuchs <fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch> wrote:
> Relative sentences in ACE are restrictive. In this case this means that the more specific "X which a customer possesses" cannot anaphorically refer to the less specific "a card X", and APE thus produces the error message.

Thank you for the quick response, but there are still some issues, I
think.  The example I provided, "There is a card X. X which a customer
possesses is valid." is taken from the 6.6 DRS Report, page 30.  The
DRS report states that that text should be parsed into the DRS

A B C D E
object(A,card,countable,na,eq,1)
object(B,customer,countable,na,eq,1)
predicate(C,possess,B,A)
property(D,valid,pos)
predicate(E,be,A,D)

which, as you say, would be equivalent to "There is a card X. X is
possessed by a customer and is valid."  Is the DRS Report in error on
this point?

Thanks in advance,
//JT

--