[Attempto] Relative sentence example in 6.6 DRS Report causes error

Joshua TAYLOR tayloj at cs.rpi.edu
Wed Dec 22 18:21:26 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Kaarel Kaljurand <kaljurand at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 00:46, Norbert E. Fuchs <fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch> wrote:
>> On 20 Dec 2010, at 22:28, Joshua TAYLOR wrote:
>>> The example "There is a card X. X which a customer possesses is
>>> valid."  in the 6.6 DRS Report does not parse with the webservice, but
>>> produces the error:
>>
>> Relative sentences in ACE are restrictive. In this case this means that the more specific "X which a customer possesses" cannot anaphorically refer to the less specific "a card X", and APE thus produces the error message.
>>
> just to add to Norbert's explanation. I believe there is an error in
> the DRS report because bare variables cannot have relative clauses,
> i.e. you cannot say:
>
>    X that waits is happy.
>
> but you can say:
>
>    Something X that waits is happy.
>
> I think this changed happened in ACE 6.5, for which the release notes
> say "Relative clauses can be used only for nouns, indefinite pronouns
> and proper names."
> For ACE 5.5 the release notes say "generalisation: any noun phrase can
> now take a relative phrase".
> (See http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/news/)

Thank you both Norbert and Kaarel for quick and helpful responses.  As
a bit of clarification on my part, this (and the example in the other
thread I recently started) issue didn't come about from a ACE that I
was trying to construct, but rather as I'm in the process of updating
my Lisp ACE bindings [1], I've been using the examples in the DRS
report as test cases (i.e., I can check that the DRS I get back is the
same as what's in the DRS report).

If the DRS report examples are not, all in fact, parseable ACE text
(e.g., the example "There is a card X. X which a customer possesses is
valid.") but just schematic in the types of sentences that would
produce similar DRSs, is there an alternative document somewhere which
has specific examples of ACE text and the corresponding DRSs?

Many thanks,
Joshua Taylor

[1] http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~tayloj/CL-ACE/

--