[Attempto] representation of strings in ACE DRS is problematic?

Kenneth Jones kennethjone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 03:39:44 CET 2010

The sentences:

p:Example-String-1 is "(".
p:Example-String-2 is ")".
p:Example-String-3 is ",".
p:Example-String-4 is "(,)".

translate to:

[A, B, C, D]

predicate(A, be, named(Example-String-1), string(())-1/4

predicate(B, be, named(Example-String-2), string()))-2/4

predicate(C, be, named(Example-String-3), string((,)))-3/4

predicate(D, be, named(Example-String-4), string((,)))-4/4

It is difficult to parse the DRS produced by the first two
translations and the translation of the third sentence is identical to
the translation of the fourth sentence.

There also seems to be no escape mechanism that would allow quotation
marks to be inside strings.

It seems to me that the representation of strings in DRS is
problematic.  There are, of course, several ways the problems could be
fixed.  Anything that works would be fine with me.

-- Ken