[Attempto] or is interpreted as inclusive or , or xor?

Gabriele Kahlout gabriele at mysimpatico.com
Sun Jul 11 14:47:58 CEST 2010

> > "If a card X1 is inserted then exactly X1 is inserted. ..."
> > exactly meaning that no other card is inserted.
> >
> > Is the last the most natural way to express xor in ACE for the example
> sentence?
>
> No. Note that an exclusive or could be imbedded in an if-then sentence
> which would make your constructs very hard to read.
>
> I's evaluating several options with the editor, before reporting back.

> To express "A XOR B" in ACE you write – as you do in standard FOL – "(A and
> not B) or (B and not A), similar to what you did  in your email of 10 July
> 2010 22:10:10 CEST.

> Or – and this is probably an exclusive or – you could add the exclusive or
> to ACE, download the Attempto Parsing Engine APE and extend it by grammar
> rules processing the exclusive or.
>

> > --- unchanged since 25/1/10 ---
> > P.S. Unless a notification (LON), please reply either with an answer OR
> with " ACK" appended to this subject within 48 hours. Otherwise, I might
> resend.
> > In(LON, this) ∨ In(48h, TimeNow) ∨ ∃x. In(x, MyInbox) ∧ IsAnswerTo(x,
> this) ∨ (In(subject(this), subject(x)) ∧ In(ACK, subject(x)) ∧
> ¬IsAnswerTo(x,this)) ⇒ ¬IResend(this).
> >
> > Also note that correspondence may be received only from specified a
> priori senders, or if the subject of this email ends with a code, eg.
> -LICHT01X, then also from senders whose reply contains it.
> > ∀x. In(x, MyInbox) ⇒ In(senderAddress(x), MySafeSenderList) ∨ (∃y. In(y,
> subject(this) ) ∧ In(y,x) ∧ isCodeLike(y, -LICHT01X) ).
>
> What does this mean?
>
>   --- nef
>
> So despite all attempts it's still ambiguous? I'll work on expressing it
with Attempto, but the logic formulation should be equivalent.

Predicates I used:
In(x,y): x is in y.
IsAnswerTo(x,y): x is an answer to y.
IResend(x): I resend the email.
isCodeLike(x,y): x is code like/similar to y.

Constants:
this: the email I've sent.
48h: the time at 48 hours from the time this was sent.
TimeNow: the time now.
MyInbox: my inbox.
MySafeSenderList: a list of senders I reckon to be safe (i.e. they send
emails I want to receive).

Functions:
subject(x): maps email x to its subject.

--
Regards,
K. Gabriele