[Attempto] or is interpreted as inclusive or , or xor?

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 16:02:44 CEST 2010

2010/7/11 Norbert E. Fuchs <fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch>

> On 11 Jul 2010, at 15:21, Gabriele Kahlout wrote:
>
> > I'm still not able to express certain mutual exclusiveness with Attempo.
> >
> > I want to say:
> >  ∀x. IsInserted(x) ⇒ ¬∃y. IsInserted(y) ∧ x ≠y
> >
> > My expected translation of that would be:
> > If there exists an x that is inserted then there does not exist a y
> different from x that is inserted.
> > OR (inclusive!):
> > For every x that is inserted there is no y different from x that is
> inserted.
> > Tersely: Only one object could be inserted.
> >
> > How could this exclusiveness be expressed?
>
> As in your FOL formula just express that x is not y, i.e. use "is not" in
> ACE.
>
> See section "2.3.3 Negating Verb Phrases" in the document "ACE Construction
> Rules" (http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/docs/ace_constructionrules.html).
>
> We are certainly happy to answer your questions, but may I suggest again
> that you have a look at the documentation?

Norbert is right.

I enjoyed this problem, and here is my solution :

 ./ape.exe -guess -text 'For everything X that is a:inserted there is no
thing Y such that Y is a:inserted, and Y is not X.' -solo drspp
[]
   [A, B, C]
   object(A, something, dom, na, na, na)-1/3
   property(B, inserted, pos)-1/9
   predicate(C, be, A, B)-1/6
   =>
   [D, E, F]
      NOT
      [G]
      object(G, thing, countable, na, eq, 1)-1/13
   object(D, something, dom, na, na, na)-1/17
   property(E, inserted, pos)-1/21
   predicate(F, be, D, E)-1/18
      NOT
      [H]