[Attempto] compound adverbs in ACE

Gabriele Kahlout gabriele at mysimpatico.com
Mon Jul 12 20:38:09 CEST 2010

2010/7/12 Norbert E. Fuchs <fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch>

> On 12 Jul 2010, at 18:36, Gabriele Kahlout wrote:
>
> > In the troubleshooting guide the following example is given:
> >
> > Adverbs that modify other adverbs are not supported in ACE.
> >
> > *John drives extremely carefully.
> > In order to modify a verb with two or more adverbs, you must coordinate
> them, e.g.
> >
> > John drives extremely and carefully.
> >
> > But John drives extremely/very and carefully makes no sense in English.
> (It works for  A customer inserts a card carefully and manually.).
> >
> > I thought one way could be  a:very-carefully (1-word adverb), though
> that's not english.
> > Are there other ways? Reading through the documentation it doesn't seem
> to?
>
> You are right, the example "John drives extremely and carefully." is not
> very felicitous in any language. It was motivated by the preceding example.
>
> APE has no problems accepting adverbs like "very-carefully", and generating
> the appropriate DRS. There may be problems, though, when you try to derive
> "John drives carefully." from "John drives very-carefully.".
>
> Very-carefully would be just another adverb like in italian for example one
adds "issimo" to emphasize a lot. Then an expression like:
If someone drives Xissimo the he drives X. should do.

Though accepting very-carefully as the only solution would be a sacrifice.
Is the problem of parsing extremely carefully one of
concept/impossibility/technical difficulty or just time/priority?

Regards.

--
Regards,
K. Gabriele

--- unchanged since 25/1/10 ---
P.S. Unless a notification (LON), please reply either with an answer OR with
" ACK" appended to this subject within 48 hours. Otherwise, I might resend.
In(LON, this) ∨ In(48h, TimeNow) ∨ ∃x. In(x, MyInbox) ∧ IsAnswerTo(x, this)
∨ (In(subject(this), subject(x)) ∧ In(ACK, subject(x)) ∧
¬IsAnswerTo(x,this)) ⇒ ¬IResend(this).

Also note that correspondence may be received only from specified a priori
senders, or if the subject of this email ends with a code, eg. -LICHT01X,
then also from senders whose reply contains it.
∀x. In(x, MyInbox) ⇒ In(senderAddress(x), MySafeSenderList) ∨ (∃y. In(y,
subject(this) ) ∧ In(y,x) ∧ isCodeLike(y, -LICHT01X) ).