[Attempto] paraphrasing quantification

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 16:38:07 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 20:33, Gabriele Kahlout
<gabriele at mysimpatico.com> wrote:

> 2010/7/12 Norbert E. Fuchs <fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch>
>
>> Third, to provide a feedback to the users ACE's paraphrasing gives a
>> *syntactic* variant of the input text, not a semantic one.
>
> I'm not sure I grasp the fine line between semantic analysis and
> paraphrasing.
> So if a user accepts a paraphrase then his expression and the paraphrase are
> semantically equivalent. So the accepted syntactic variant is also a
> semantic variant.
> Then my suggestion could be a syntatic variant too.

The relation between an ACE text and its paraphrase is that their DRSs
are structurally equivalent. See more in this paper:

Kaarel Kaljurand. Paraphrasing Controlled English Texts.
Pre-Proceedings of the Workshop on Controlled Natural Language (CNL
2009), CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 2009

I'm not sure now what to call this relation (syntactic or semantic)
on the ACE level.

--
kaarel