[Attempto] experiment with updating lexicon in ACE View

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 07:56:09 CEST 2010

Hi Jean-Marc,

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 17:34, Jean-Marc Vanel <jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I opened the FOAF ontology with ACE View.
> Then I got plenty of ugly sentences like:
> Everything primaryTopics at most 1 thing .
>
> Then I wanted to update lexicon to make it look like :
> Everything has-primary-Topic at most 1 thing .
> So I added a singular form : has-primary-Topic , a plural
> form have-primary-Topic and a past participate: is-primary-Topic-of , all
> associated to the orignal Id 'primary topic'.
> But I found no way of updating existing snippets (re-verbalizing them) )
> after updating the lexicon .

Yes, this is how it currently is. Making changes in the lexicon view
triggers changes in the annotation properties that annotate the selected
entity, but no snippets get updated. I agree that this behaviour is
incorrect and
confusing. Simply, renaming is currently incompletely implemented: it
currently makes sense to change word forms only if no snippet uses
these forms yet...

> As a side note, it would be good, as a post-processing of ACE  View, to
> analyse such camel-case words like primaryTopic, and seing that it's not a
> verb, automatically create the same verbal forms I added manually.

Yes, we could think about it how to do this better.
Unfortunately there are many naming conventions around. I'm not sure any
of them is properly/completely documented and followed.
My approach with ACE View was to propose a new naming convention rather
than to support the existing ones... ;)

--
kaarel