[Attempto] Attempto and Yap & SWI Prolog version

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Sun Mar 7 12:38:37 CET 2010

On 6 Mar 2010, at 17:51, Jean-Marc Vanel wrote:

> We develop a rule development environment, EulerGUI [1] ( cf recent
> mail on this list ). We plan to integrate Attempto into EulerGUI.

Wonderful. Please keep the list informed about your progress.

> Euler is using Yap Prolog, but Attempto is based on SWI Prolog. We
> would like to reduce the number of external dependencies.
>
> So I'm asking whether Attempto would easily be ported to Yap ?
>
> [1] http://eulergui.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/eulergui/trunk/eulergui/html/documentation.html

Since we never worked with YAP I cannot answer your question from my own experience.

According to the SWI Prolog web-site (http://www.swi-prolog.org/), SWI Prolog has "Fair compatibility to Ciao, YAP and GNU-Prolog."

According to the YAP web-site (http://www.dcc.fc.up.pt/~vsc/Yap/)  YAP  "is largely compatible with the ISO-Prolog standard and with Quintus and SICStus Prolog".

David Reitter (http://www.david-reitter.com/compling/prolog/compare.html) discusses the compatibility of SWI and YAP, and introduces a "compatibility layer".

Probably you will get the best answer by submitting your question to the SWI mailing list.

On 6 Mar 2010, at 18:48, Jean-Marc Vanel wrote:

> It's not quite clear which version is suitable for attempto.

The latest APE release says "Recent versions of SWI-Prolog (5.6.57 and higher) should be OK".

> I tried latest  Version 5.9.9 , which gives:
>
> $ ./make_exe.bat
>
> C:\cygwin\home\papa\apps\w\ape>plcon -O -F none -g "working_directory(_, 'parser
> '), [fit_to_plp], halt." -t halt   & plcon -O -f ape.pl -g "qsave_program('ape.e
> xe', [goal(ape), toplevel(halt), local(25000), global(50000)])." -t halt
> SWI-Prolog: [FATAL ERROR:
>        Saved state has incompatible (591558836) word-length]
> SWI-Prolog: [FATAL ERROR:
>        Saved state has incompatible (591558836) word-length]
>
> Indeed , 5.9.9 is labelled as a Development release
>
> With the latest stable version it works :).
>
> However with the old Version 5.6.36 that comes with cygwin it does not work either.

 I just compiled APE successfully with version 5.9.9 on my Mac.

Regards.