[Attempto] reuse existing ontologies with Ace View ?

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Mon May 17 16:51:01 CEST 2010

2010/4/19 Kaarel Kaljurand <kaljurand at gmail.com>

> Hi Jean-Marc,
>
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Jean-Marc Vanel
> <jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible to reuse an existing OWL ontologies with Ace View ?
> > For example, how can I explicitely refer to foaf:Person from the FAOF
> ontology [1] ?
>
> ACE doesn't provide support for namespaces, i.e. all the content words
> used in a sentence refer to the same default namespace. Therefore
> it is not possible to write something like:
>
> (1) Every my:person is a foaf:Person and every foaf:Person is a my:person.
>
> We have been thinking about adding namespaces support but haven't
> found a natural (English-like) representation for that.
> Do you have any ideas or preferences?

Looking at my (french) keyboard , I propose "|" as a separator between a
RDF/N3 prefix  and the significant part, and so (1) would become :

Every person is a foaf|Person and every foaf|Person is a person .

Internally, it could expand to full IRI, like you propose below.

Comments:
It 's too bad that ":" is already taken , but it is well-established in NLP
for prefixing word nature . I think that using a yet unused separator will
bring no problem anywhere. The only other character I see, that has no NLP
or mathematical meaning would be "~" .

The other question is: how to specifiy the prefixes to APE and ACE View ?
For APE, a new argument is possible.

For ACE View, ideally, the prefixes declared in Protégé should be reused.

> What would be easy to add to ACE and ACE View is full IRI support (at the
> tokenizer level). Then you could write something like:
>
> (2) Every person is a `http://foaf.org/#Person` and every
> `http://foaf.org/#Person` is a person.
>
> ... and ACE View would consider 'person' to be in the default namespace
> and 'Person' in the FOAF namespace. Would you be happy writing
> sentences like (2)?

I could tolerate that, but it seems that the non-developper domain experts
would object.

> Note that currently the ACE tokenizer rejects tokens like
> "http://foaf.org/#Person".
>

> > Of course, it is possible to add a owl:SameAs axiom saying that my person
> is the same as foaf:Person .
>
> Yes, as ACE View is layered on top of Protege, you can use all the Protege
> functionality, e.g. add sameAs axioms in the Protege individuals-view.

This is obviously a fallback practical possibility. But that would
complexify the overall domain model.

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,