[Attempto] mathematical expressions in ACE View

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Mon May 17 20:05:17 CEST 2010

Hi

I'm more comfortable with mathematical expressions in APE.
But I doubt that ACE View has the ability to output them (although OWL FS
output works).

I tried personal nouns (becoming individuals in OWL).

*There is a time T .*
*There is an n : acceleration G .*
*An n : accelerated-movement has-expression p : acceleration-formula .*
*p : acceleration-formula has-formula ( ( 1 / 2 ) * G * T * T ) .*

Alas! No error flagged, but the last line is not in the OWL at all.

Of course I tried this simpler snippet:

*There is a time T .*
*There is an n : acceleration G .*
*p : accelerated-movement has-expression ( ( 1 / 2 ) * G * T * T ) .*

but ACE View says: "subject or object of this verb makes an illegal
reference" . Same when removing the 2 first lines.

Note that using mass nouns for time and acceleration makes more sense:
./ape.exe -guess -solo drspp -text \
"There is some time T . There is some n : acceleration G . p :
accelerated-movement has-expression ( ( 1 / 2 ) * G * T * T ) ."
[A, B, C]
object(A, time, mass, na, na, na)-1/6
object(B, acceleration, mass, na, na, na)-2/6
predicate(C, has-expression, named(accelerated-movement), expr(*, expr(*,
expr(*, expr(/, int(1), int(2)), B), A), A))-3/6

Which gives different error messages in ACE View, for acceleration and time:
"A reference to this noun either does not exist or is illegal."

In fact, I don't even know how an algebric expression would be in OWL+SWRL.
I guess it uses the SWRL builtins for mathematical operations.
But what if it is pure OWL ?

Pending the correction Kaarel mentionned last time, I need some workaround
to make my small demonstrator that will interpret the math formulas and show
some input forms.
Given some hints, I can try to arrange the Prolog code ...

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,