[Attempto] Can subordinate sentences be subjects?

Joshua TAYLOR tayloj at cs.rpi.edu
Mon Jan 10 18:21:45 CET 2011

Hello all,

Is there a way in ACE to have a subordinate sentence be the subject of
a sentence?  One can easily be made the object, as in

"John believes that Mary likes John." ==>
[A,B]
predicate(A,believe,named(John),B)-1/2
   [C]
   predicate(C,like,named(Mary),named(John))-1/5

but I'm wondering if there's any way to achieve something like this:

"That Mary likes John happens." ==>
[A,B]
predicate(A,happen,B)
   [C]
   predicate(C,like,named(Mary),named(John))

By my reading of the Syntax Report, I don't see anything like this, so
I expect that the answer is "no", but I'd be delighted to learn that
there is.

Thanks in advance,
Joshua Taylor

--