[Attempto] inverse names of relations

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Thu Sep 1 10:55:44 CEST 2011

On 1 Sep 2011, at 10:00, Nagarjuna G wrote:

> Is there a way how I can tell the inference engine to handle the following situation:
>
> "x is a part of y" and "y consists of x" are alternative propositional transformations saving the truth value. How to tell that the predicate "part of" and "consists of" are inverse to each other.
>
> If this query is already handled in ACE literature, just a pointer will do.

Hi

Are "part of" and "consists of" really inverse to each other? Though an engine is a part of a car the car does not consist of the engine.

However assuming for the argument that "part of" and "consists of" are inverse to each other then you could express this directly in ACE, for instance as

  If X is a part of Y then Y consists-of X.

Which inference engine are you talking about?

Regards.