[Attempto] inverse names of relations

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Thu Sep 1 18:36:20 CEST 2011

On 1 Sep 2011, at 17:21, Nagarjuna G wrote:

> I do not have a usecase for the complex example you gave. But it is
> instructive.
>
> The example I have is: Given "Milk consists of fat, carbohydrates,
> proteins, minerals and water", I should be able to say "Water is a
> part of Milk" as a valid inference. Or if a query is raised "Is water
> a part of Milk?" I expect yes.
>
> (In some biology books "consists of' and "composed of" are used
> interchangeably.)
>
> I understood that an if-then construct can be used to tell RACE that a
> relation is inverse.

Hi

I may have misunderstood your original message.

Looking at your example I noticed that you actually do not want "part of" and "consist of" to be exactly inverse since now "consist of" is meant in the sense of "consist of ... among other things". In which case the two relations can actually be related by

  If X is a part of Y then Y consists-of X.

or for your example perhaps better as

  If X consists-of Y then Y is a part of X.

Regards.