[Attempto] RACE answers queries "how many" and "how much"

David Whitten whitten at worldvista.org
Thu Apr 12 23:31:55 CEST 2012

Researching further, RACE does seem to do queries that include negation:

*Axioms*: Every man is a human. Every woman is a human. Mary is a woman.
John is a man. Fido is a dog. No dog is a human.

*Query*: Who is not a human?

*Parameters*:

The following minimal subsets of the axioms answer the query:
Subset 1

   - 5: Fido is a dog.
   - 6: No dog is a human.
   - Substitution: who = (at least 1) dog

Maybe the problem is "and" processing. I get the same result from this
query:

*Axioms*: Every man is a human. Every woman is a human. Mary is a woman.
John is a man. Fido is a dog. No dog is a human.

*Query*: Who is a man and is a woman ?

*Parameters*:
Query cannot be answered

Also: this is the full cut-and-paste for the woman who is not human:

*Axioms*: Every man is a human. Every woman is a human. Mary is a woman.
John is a man.

*Query*: Who is a woman and is not a human?

*Parameters*:

Query cannot be answered.