[Attempto] Meaning of the copula "to be"

David Whitten whitten at netcom.com
Fri Apr 20 16:04:14 CEST 2012

Norbert,
thank you for the excellent explanation. One of the reasons I joined the
attempto
mailing list is because I hoped to have these kinds of conversations.

This is what I think I understand.
If you don't make "is" an equivalence relation, then
with a sentence like:

a tonsure is a pate.

You know these things are true:
There is a classification of some things named "tonsure".
There may or may not be any thing that can be classified as a tonsure.
No example of a tonsure is currently known in this axiom set.
There is a classification of some things named "pate".
There may or may not be any thing that can be classified as a pate.
No example of a pate is currently known in this axiom set.
If there was some thing X that could be classified as a tonsure
then that same thing X must also be classified as a pate.

What you don't know is:
If there was some thing X that could be classified as a pate
then that same thing X could also be classified as a tonsure
or may not be classified as a tonsure.

If we made "is" into an equivalence relation, then I think we don't
get the second behavior from RACE.

Let us add the statement to our axiom set of

A pate is a scalp.

Given that Pate (the capitalized word) means the set of all things
classified as a pate.
Given that Tonsure (the capitalized word) means the set of all things
classified as a tonsure.
Given that Scalp (the capitalized word) means the set of all things
classified as a scalp.

If "is" becomes an equivalence relation, and substituting into your example
below,
we would get

(reflexivity)    |- Tonsure is Tonsure.
(symmetry)       Tonsure is Pate. |- Pate is Tonsure.
(transitivity)   {Tonsure is Pate., Pate is Scalp.} |- Tonsure is Scalp.

By the way, for an equivalence relation I think these are true as well:
(reflexivity)    |- Pate is Pate.
(reflexivity)    |- Scalp is Scalp.

I agree that all of the reflexivity statements are true,
I don't agree that the symmetry statement is true
I do agree that if "a pate is a scalp" were true then the
transitivity statement would be true.

Unfortunately for my example,  a tonsure is a scalp, but
a pate includes both the scalp and the hair on the crown of the head,
and so "pate" refers to more than "scalp" does.

SInce I purposely used obscure words, these are the meanings that I intend.
By the way, a pate isn't the same thing as a* **pâté**, which is a food
made of liver meat.**
*The word  "pate" is an archaic word from before the 1370's and
means the  head of a person. It is far more common to call this the crown
of the head in modern times.  Personally, I have only heard the word "pate"
referring to a human's head, but according to one website,
Noah Webster's dictionary in 1828  also used "pate" to refer to the head of
a calf.
A tonsure is a shaved pate.  When a person joins certain groups,
notably to be a monk, the crown of the head of the person is shaved.
A scalp is the skin of the crown of the head, and may or may not be shaved.

So my vote is that we don't make "is" an equivalence relation.
What kind of relation is it if we drop the symmetry requirement?

David
PS: I would also like to discuss how "part of" interacts with "is"
perhaps in a different email thread.  As I was discussing this
ideas about merology came up with my example.
"the pate of the head", "the crown of the head", the "scalp of the pate",
"the tonsure of the crown",  are some examples that I would like
to know about how RACE handles conclusions.

Could we have a "wordy" RACE mode where the statements that
come from how "is" is classified as a relation would be explicitly
stated? I'm thinking these should include the reflexivity, symmetry,
and transitivity facts if they are used in concluding some result,
to help a someone who hasn't used RACE before understand
the conclusions RACE draws?  I know they aren't currently used
by "is", but are they used by the translation of other English words
into the DRS form?