[Attempto] the case of mixing RDF vocabularies : a FOAF example

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 12:04:20 CEST 2012

Hi,

and thanks for the thorough writeup.

Regarding namespaces in ACE, it still holds what I wrote in
https://lists.ifi.uzh.ch/pipermail/attempto/2012-April/000937.html
i.e. ACE does not support namespaces in the sense that different names
have to be used for different things.

In the context of ACE->OWL/SWRL you can have lexicon entries like:

pn_sg('Mary', iri('http://www.example.com/names#Mary'))

which allow you to use the word 'Mary' in an ACE text and "show" it to
OWL as the IRI "http://www.example.com/names#Mary". This solution
would not give you the namespace prefix construct, i.e. you will not
be able to say

    ns1:Mary is ns2:Mary.

In order to use namespace prefixes you could define a new language
that can be converted to ACE via some pre-processing. This idea is
explored in
https://code.google.com/p/aceview/issues/detail?id=4 to be used in ACE
View, but it has not been implemented.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 10:25 AM, Jean-Marc Vanel
<jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com> wrote:
> First I formulate the rule with FOAF vocabulary :
>
> ape.exe -text 'If P is a n:foaf-Person that v:foaf-homepage something and
> v:foaf-CurrentProject something then P is an n:interesting-contact .' -solo
> paraphrase
>
> This looks unnatural because OWL properties in ACE must necessarily be
> verbs.

Also of-constructs and transitive and comparative adjectives are
mapped to OWL properties. But, yes, transitive verbs would be better
in the sense that the OWL verbalizer (OWL->ACE) maps properties to
transitive verbs, so with verbs you can do roundtrip translations.

> Anyways this gives the desired meaning in OWL (but with an extra
> level of ObjectIntersectionOf ) :

This ObjectIntersectionOf-structure reflects the relative clause
structure. In case you use "and that v:foaf-CurrentProject" that you
get less intersections.

--
kaarel