[Attempto] (How?) Can attempto describe these concepts?

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Thu Mar 29 21:39:26 CEST 2012

On 27 Mar 2012, at 1:08 , Theodore H. Smith wrote:

> On 26 Mar 2012, at 21:13, Norbert E. Fuchs wrote:
>

>> The anaphor "its hands" is resolved to "hands of the car" which is not meant. Use instead
>>
>> If a person drives a car then the person must have his/her own hands on the car's n:steering-wheel.
>>

> Thanks a lot Norbert. I'm starting to get more of a feel for attempto's language now.
>
> I tried a basic "query", and I didn't get the answer I expected. Using http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/race/
>
> If a person drives a car then the person must have his/her own hands on the car's n:steering-wheel.
> 	p:Fred is a person.
> 	p:Mary is a person.
> 	Mary drives a car.
>
> And this theorem:
>
> 	Mary has her own hands on a steering-wheel.
>
> I get this "Theorems do not follow from axioms."
>
> ( I asked a question before, and asked it off-list by accident, but that previous question had incorrect input, as I missed the "mary drives a car" statement. I fixed the input a bit. Hopefully there's no more glaring errors.)
>
> Thanks all.

Theodore

I rephrased your first axiom to

  If somebody X is a person and drives a car then X must have its own hands on the car's n:steering-wheel.

and then got the following proof

Your original formulation of the first axiom

  If a person drives a car then the person must have his/her own hands on the car's n:steering-wheel.

doesn't work currently since one of RACE's internal auxiliary axioms has a bug that I need to investigate.

Regards.