[Attempto] playing around with distributives

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:12:22 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:00 PM, Theodore H. Smith <delete at elfdata.com> wrote:
> hello attempto list, Norbert and Tobias
>
> So I was experimenting with different input in attempto, with "distributive quantifiers".
>
>         each of the men see the apples. // fails

This is a syntax error in ACE and (I think) also in English. The verb
should be in singular:

    each of the men sees the apples.  // works

>         the apples are seen by each of the men. // works
>
> Also, compared to all the other "paraphrasing" you have, this one should be simple to add? Right now it doesn't paraphrase "the apples are seen by each of the men".

Yes, this sentence could be paraphrased as:

    There are some apples. Each of the men sees the apples.

i.e. the paraphrase would rewrite the participle construct making the
whole thing easier to read. But I'm not sure that it's simple to add.
In general, I've found the each-of DRS representation complex to deal
with during DRS verbalization.

Best regards,
Kaarel