[Attempto] RACE: Extension of "how many" queries

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Sat Aug 30 16:07:47 CEST 2014

Hi

Since quite some time the Attempto reasoner RACE can answer "how many" and "how much" queries.

Here is a simple example to show the basic functionality:

Note: "three-coloured" is not part of ACE's standard lexicon and I give it the prefix "a:" to indicate to the ACE parser that it is an adjective.

Since RACE does not have any information concerning the relation of three-coloured cats and male cats, it can only safely deduce that there are (at least) 3 cats.

Knowing however, that all three-coloured cats are female we add this information as "No three-coloured cat is a male cat." and get now 5 cats.

In the last days I extended RACE to cover also "how many" queries where the elements to be counted are identified by proper names. Here is an instructive example:

Since in ACE proper names signify distinct objects we get 2 men as an answer.

Now let us assume that we learn that the two persons called "John" and "Harry" are in fact the same person - perhaps named "John Harry" and called variously by one or the other name. We add this information and get just 1 man as an answer.

To mark this case, RACE additionally produces a warning.

Please play around with this extension and give me your feedback. Do you think that the warning message is necessary?