[Attempto] Help with constructing optimal ACE sentences

luke wallace lukewallace1990 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 01:36:09 CEST 2015

I'm new to ACE, and I've been flooding this mailing list recently about it,
but I feel this is actually a question which many newcomers might have but
not get around to asking.

The most frusterating part of using the APE webclient to construct
sentences once you understand "ACE in a nutshell" is where it's best or
where it's appropriate to concatenate words into a noun representing an
idea.

For example, if you past the following into APE it's correct, and the
paraphrase logic is what is intended:

p:NFPA-13 is a standard that contains some requirements and some guidelines
that are used for the n:design-and-installation of an
n:automatic-fire-sprinkler-system that has a reasonable
n:ability-to-protect-a-building from a fire.

However, the following sentence which has some small differences towards
the end of the sentence also is correct in APE, and also contains the
correct paraphrase logic.

p:NFPA-13 is a standard that contains some requirements and some guidelines
that are used for the n:design-and-installation of an
n:automatic-fire-sprinkler-system that has a
n:reasonable-ability-to-protect-a-building-from-a-fire.

I'm at a loss on where to stop combining the words with dashes, what is the
advantage or purpose of trying to keep everything outside of a dashed noun
construct?

In reality, the actual "idea" I think is best represented by constructing
the entire end of the sentence into a single noun-idea like this:

n:reasonable-ability-to-protect-a-building-from-a-fire.

Perhaps all of this is wrong, and I should make a separate sentence which
defines the idea like this:
n:protection-level: a
n:reasonable-ability-to-protect-a-building-from-a-fire.

p:NFPA-13 is a standard that contains some requirements and some guidelines
that are used for the n:design-and-installation of an
n:automatic-fire-sprinkler-system that has a specific n:protection-level.

My intent is to try and extract the greatest level of natural language
expressiveness constructing ACE sentences, while still being able to ask a
reasoner questions about the sentences and have inferences be made.