[Attempto] [CNL] Should I allow for non-monotonic reasoning?

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Sat May 23 16:49:51 CEST 2015

> On 23 May 2015, at 15:11 , Adam Wyner <adam at wyner.info> wrote:
>
> I would say that RACE race should allow for non-monotonic reasoning, but I could see that in some cases allowing such inferences might confuse a user.  That is, if a user is *expecting* or *requiring* or *testing a KB for* monotonic reasoning, then having such inferences would be confusing and then be difficult to trace.  On the other hand, where a user really wants non-monotonic reasoning, then having it would be a big strength.

Adam

Thanks for your feedback.

I must, however, disappoint you since RACE was not specifically constructed for non-monotonic reasoning. Perhaps I will add it later.

The example that I mentioned is a side-effect of the auxiliary axioms for aggregation for the case of proper names that by default are considered distinct. But there could be other cases that I am not aware of.

For this specific case I just decided to add a warning for the user:

That RACE does not yet do non-monotonic reasoning in general – lacking any prioritisation of axioms or defaults – can be seen by the case of Tweety the penguin.

Thus both "Tweety flies" and "Tweety does not fly" are derived accompanied by a warning that the axioms are inconsistent.

Regards.