[Attempto] Attempto FOL Grammar

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Fri Dec 12 18:08:13 CET 2008

On 12 Dec 2008, at 17:47, Rodrigue wrote:

> So I wanted to know if :
>
> 1- You can provide the set of rules (paper, report, or slide) used
> to translate DRS into FOL ("-cfol" argument). This is important to
> me since I realize that APE can generate DRS for some sentences
> without be able to provide it FOL equivalent. (e.g "a man believes
> that he loves a woman.")
>
> 2- You have a grammar for the FOL ("-cfol" argument)

Rodrigue

As I wrote in my previous message there is a translation from the DRS
language to the standard FOL language. You find the translator
"drs_to_fol_to_prenex.pl" written in Prolog in the directory "utils"
of the APE package that you downloaded.

As you noticed the translator does not (yet) handle sentence
subordination, but also not modality (can, must). There is a comment
describing this restriction next to the description of the "cfol"
parameter of the APE web-service (http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/docs/ape_webservice.html
).  These two language constructs require a major change of the
translator to a possible-worlds semantics. By the way, the translator
also does not handle negation-as-failure that lies outside of FOL.

The *cfol" argument does nothing but enable a call of
"drs_to_fol_to_prenex.pl".

Regards.