[Attempto] Attempto FOL Grammar

Rodrigue rodrigue at kwanga.org
Fri Dec 12 17:47:45 CET 2008

Norbert E. Fuchs wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2008, at 20:41, Kwanga rodrigue wrote:
>
>> Dear Dr. Norbert E. Fuchs
>>
>> I wonder if you have a grammar (in the EBNF form or not) of the FOL
>> generated by the attempto parser (APE).
>>
>> Thanks for your answer.
>>
>> Rodrigue KWANGA.
>
> Dear Rodrigue
>
> By "the FOL generated by the attempto parser (APE)" I guess that you
> mean the DRS generated by APE. (There is a simple translation of the
> DRS language into the standard FOL language.)
>
> The complete DRS language is described by example in the DRS manual,
> but there is no formal grammar. Alternatively, we offer the DRS
> well-formedness checker "is_wellformed.pl" written in Prolog. You find
> this checker in the directory "utils"  in the downloaded APE package.
>
> I took the liberty to cc my message to the Attempto Mailing List
> (http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/mailinglist/) so that other users of
> ACE can profit from our discussions.
>
> Best regards.
>
> Norbert E. Fuchs
> Department of Informatics
> University of Zurich

Dear Dr. Norbert,

Here is an example of FOL sentence generated by Attempto parser. This
was obtained through the web parser. On a local parser we can obtain the
same by giving the arguments for the output format "-cdrs" and  "-cfol"

There is a man.

Paraphrase

There is a man.

DRS

[A]
object(A, man, countable, na, eq, 1)-1

FOL

exists(A, object(A, man, countable, na, eq, 1)-1)

So I wanted to know if :

1- You can provide the set of rules (paper, report, or slide) used to
translate DRS into FOL ("-cfol" argument). This is important to me since
I realize that APE can generate DRS for some sentences without be able
to provide it FOL equivalent. (e.g "a man believes that he loves a woman.")

2- You have a grammar for the FOL ("-cfol" argument)

Thanks .

Rodrigue KWANGA