[Attempto] AceRules help regarding generalized quantifiers

Tobias Kuhn t.kuhn at gmx.ch
Wed Dec 31 13:17:49 CET 2008

Hi Stephan,

Such generalized quantifiers are not interpreted by AceRules. "exactly 2" is accepted, but there is
no relation to "at least 2" or "less than 5" for AceRules. This is because the underlying rule
formalisms do not support such cardinality statements. It might be that there are extensions thereof
that would support such things. I am not really up to date. I haven't been working on such rule
problems recently.

What you have to consider is that the forward-chaining approach may easily break if such cardinality
statement are processed in some way. Your statement "John has exactly 2 orders" should also imply

   John has less than 3 orders.
   John has less than 4 orders.
   John has less than 10 orders.

... and so on. Thus, you get an infinite answer set and the rule engine won't terminate.

In case you want to change AceRules to handle such things in one way or another, have a look at the
file "courteous_interpreter/answerset_generator.pl" of the AceRules source code.

For the list: a pre-release of the AceRules source code can be downloaded here:

   http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/downloads/files/acerules-081124_unofficial.zip

Cheers,
Tobias