[Attempto] User lexicons

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 13:05:05 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:40 PM,  <adam at wyner.info> wrote:

> Can you point me to the document about how to use a custom lexicon?  I
> assume that besides following the Lexicon Specification, there must be
> something about how to make use of the lexicon with ACE.

the ACE lexicon format (as specified by the ACE Lexicon Specification,
http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/docs/ace_lexicon.html)
is the lexicon format understood by the ACE parser (APE).
ACE View generates this format behind the scenes on the basis
of certain OWL entity annotations whenever it needs to communicate with
APE.

So, an ACE View user does not need to know
anything about the ACE lexicon format. In ACE View, when you
create a new OWL entity (class, property, individual), it is automatically
annotated (using entity annotation properties) with the surface
forms of the entity. For example, if you introduce an object property "know",
then the following annotations are added (written in the
subject-predicate-object style here):

(know, sg, "knows")
(know, pl, "know")
(know, vbg, "known")

These annotations are created automatically but one can edit them
in the "Lexicon View" by double-clicking on the table cells.

When you save the ontology then these annotations (i.e. "the lexicon")
are saved as well, into the same file as the ontology.
So no separate lexicon file is needed.
It is not possible in ACE View to store the annotations into an
independent file. (There might exist P4 plugins though that allow
one to split the annotations and the logical content of the ontology into
separate files.)

An example of an OWL file that just contains entities
and their annotations, but no axioms is:

http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/aceview/examples/countries_base.owl

(This example is linked to from the ACE View page.)

Hope this helped,
Kaarel