[Attempto] User lexicons

Danica Damljanovic danica.damljanovic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 16:53:41 CEST 2009

Hi,
I have also used this lexicon a bit, and was wondering if you use some real
dictionary to create plural and past participle,
or is this implemented as a set of rules such as lemma+s for plural or
lemma+n for p.participle, etc.?

The reason I am asking is that for some properties which are actually
verb+noun, for example, hasEmail, it added 's' and 'ed' for pl and vbg
respectively. Then I was wondering how to edit automatically created pl and
vbg, as could not estimate how these are used by ACE.

Is there any 'rule of thumb' on how to handle these kind of properties i.e.
how to add them to the lexicon in order to make them 'understandable' by
ACE? Maybe just editing the verb part, so adding 'have' 'has' 'had' ?

Best,
Danica Damljanovic

2009/4/3 Kaarel Kaljurand <kaljurand at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:40 PM,  <adam at wyner.info> wrote:
> >
> > Can you point me to the document about how to use a custom lexicon?  I
> > assume that besides following the Lexicon Specification, there must be
> > something about how to make use of the lexicon with ACE.
>
> the ACE lexicon format (as specified by the ACE Lexicon Specification,
> http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/docs/ace_lexicon.html)
> is the lexicon format understood by the ACE parser (APE).
> ACE View generates this format behind the scenes on the basis
> of certain OWL entity annotations whenever it needs to communicate with
> APE.
>
> So, an ACE View user does not need to know
> anything about the ACE lexicon format. In ACE View, when you
> create a new OWL entity (class, property, individual), it is automatically
> annotated (using entity annotation properties) with the surface
> forms of the entity. For example, if you introduce an object property
> "know",
> then the following annotations are added (written in the
> subject-predicate-object style here):
>
> (know, sg, "knows")
> (know, pl, "know")
> (know, vbg, "known")
>
> These annotations are created automatically but one can edit them
> in the "Lexicon View" by double-clicking on the table cells.
>
> When you save the ontology then these annotations (i.e. "the lexicon")
> are saved as well, into the same file as the ontology.
> So no separate lexicon file is needed.
> It is not possible in ACE View to store the annotations into an
> independent file. (There might exist P4 plugins though that allow
> one to split the annotations and the logical content of the ontology into
> separate files.)
>
> An example of an OWL file that just contains entities
> and their annotations, but no axioms is:
>
> http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/aceview/examples/countries_base.owl
>
> (This example is linked to from the ACE View page.)
>
> Hope this helped,
> Kaarel

Best,
Danica Damljanovic