[Attempto] AceWiki entry [...]

George Herson gherson at snet.net
Tue Dec 22 13:21:54 CET 2009

Tobias,

> > Should we go in the direction of creating non-thread safe flat files and reinventing the thousand little patches already sewn into full-featured wikis like Wikipedia?  Is your objective now to create a maximally useful and scalable product?  If yes, why continue past proof of concept in framing AceWiki in Echo if it can instead be fully clothed in e.g. MediaWiki (www.mediawiki.org/)?

> That's a justified question.
>
> Before I started developing AceWiki, I considered building it on top of MediaWiki. However, I assumed that it would be very difficult to include a user-friendly predictive editor (as the one AceWiki has now) into MediaWiki, and I think a good predictive editor is crucial. This was the reason why I created AceWiki from scratch.

I agree a good predictive editor is crucial (i suggested one to you pre-preditor).  But why would it be very difficult to include one into MediaWiki?  MediaWiki is open source PHP and MySQL.  Does it get easier than that?  Just like AceWiki has Add Sentence and Add Comment, so could a MediaWiki interface launch a predictive editor when the first option is taken.  Does Java have much better hooks for Prolog than PHP?

thank you,
George