[Attempto] Great Job

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Tue Dec 22 20:21:14 CET 2009

On 22 Dec 2009, at 17:06, Chris Spencer wrote:

> Just wanted to say that Acewiki looks great. I'm really impressed with
> all the Ajax functionality, and semantic displays like the grammar
> tree. If there were more applications like this, the whole "semantic
> web" thing would really take off. Makes me wish Wikipedia used
> AceWiki, as it would make programmatically using its content a lot
> easier.

Chris

Though AceWiki is Tobias Kuhn's work, I – as leader of the project Attempto and as Tobias' thesis advisor – would like to thank you for your generous compliment.

> Makes me wish Wikipedia used AceWiki, as it would make programmatically using its content a lot easier.

For reasoning certainly, but probably people may find using ACE to compose their Wikipedia articles somewhat constraining.

While Tobias Kuhn et al.  (1) suggested to use a controlled language for abstracts of papers, Rolf Schwitter and I (2) suggested to write the introductory paragraphs of Wikipedia in a controlled language. Alas, both proposals need the support of an editing house or of a large community, and did yet not take off.

Regards.

   --- nef

(1)
Tobias Kuhn, Loic Royer, Norbert E. Fuchs, and Michael Schroeder
Improving Text Mining with Controlled Natural Language: A Case Study for Protein Interactions
Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Data Integration in the Life Sciences 2006 (DILS'06), Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics, Springer, 2006
http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/pubs/papers/dils2006_kuhn.pdf

(2)
Norbert E. Fuchs and Rolf Schwitter
Web-Annotations for Humans and Machines
Proceedings of the 4th European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2007), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2007
http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/pubs/papers/fuchs07webannotations.pdf