[Attempto] APE Webservice to translate ACE text to owl

Kaarel Kaljurand kaljurand at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 16:46:07 CET 2009

Dear Alireza,

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:49 PM, Alireza <alireza.khoshkbari at gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m going to use APE Webservice to translate ACE text to owl. The output of
> the web service for the text “Every+man+is+a+human.” Is as follows:
>
> <rdf:RDF xml:base="http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/ontologies/owlswrl/test">
> <owl:Ontology rdf:about=""/>
> <owl:Class rdf:about="#man">
> <rdfs:subClassOf>
> <owl:Class rdf:about="#human"/>
> </rdfs:subClassOf>
> </owl:Class>
> </rdf:RDF>

I'm getting a different output, namely:

$ curl "http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/ws/ape/apews.perl?text=Every+man+is+a+human.&solo=owlrdf"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<rdf:RDF
    xml:base="http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/ontologies/owlswrl/test"
    xmlns="http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/ontologies/owlswrl/test#"
    xmlns:owl="http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#"
    xmlns:owl11="http://www.w3.org/2006/12/owl11#"
    xmlns:swrl="http://www.w3.org/2003/11/swrl#"
    xmlns:swrlb="http://www.w3.org/2003/11/swrlb#"
    xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#">
  <owl:Ontology rdf:about=""/>
  <owl:Class rdf:about="#man">
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Class rdf:about="#human"/>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
  </owl:Class>
</rdf:RDF>

This seems to contain all the required namespace prefix definitions.
In fact it contains even ones that are not needed but this would not hurt.

I haven't really tested the outputs with Jena much. I'm mainly using
the webservice with OWL-API, and mainly make it generate the
new OWL 2 XML, but the RDF/XML output should be also OK.

> As I needed to call and use the APE web service directly in my project, I’m
> wondering whether the web service can generate the flawless owl code or I
> should modify automatically the output, before using in the project.

Maybe you are using an older version of the webservice? Btw, are you querying
the Attempto server, or do you have the APE installed locally (and you're using
"ape.exe -httpserver" to launch the service)?

Actually, one likely source of confusion is that Firefox does not show all the
attributes of the XML root element. Could that be the problem? I.e. if you're
using Firefox to explore the webservice outputs then try "view source"
and see if the attributes are there.

--
kaarel