[Attempto] need help getting ACE Wiki running

Murray, William R William.R.Murray at boeing.com
Thu Sep 17 07:24:59 CEST 2009

Tobias --

OK, I'm still getting there. I've figured out the following:

1. To compile ape.exe I use SWI-Prolog to build it, as opposed
to Java. I created it successfully.

2. I found jpl.dll hiding in C:\Program Files\SWI-Prolog\bin,
and so added that path to my PATH environment variable.

However, now when I start Tomcat 5.0 a dialog box comes up that
taunts me with,

"Windows cannot find '-Djava.endorsed.dirs='. Make sure you typed that name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start a button, and then click Search."

...and in the command window (cmd.exe) I get these error messages:

The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined correctly
This environment variable is needed to run this program
NB: JAVA_HOME should point to a JDK not a JRE
Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0
Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.0\temp
Using JAVA_HOME: C:\jdk1.6.0_13

So currently I have two questions:

1.	What causes the problem(s) when I try to launch Tomcat? Are my environment variables just set up wrong...it used to work.
2.	I didn't understand what you meant in the sentence "This can be done by a Java VM argument like this:

   -Djava.library.path=/opt/local/lib/swipl-5.6.45/lib/i386-darwin8.10.1

    " since I can understand how I would do that if were calling a class
     with the java interpreter, but we're doing something different, we're
     starting Tomcat. The best I can interpret this is that I have to modify
     the catalina.bat file to somewhere add this as I can't see where to do
     this in the startup.bat file...what am I missing?

   --Tnx!
         Bill

P.S. If some of this is plain old Java config problems I can get a sysadmin to sort those out, I'm just not sure which are those and which are related to Tomcat or AceWiki now.