[Attempto] Attempto to OWL II

Tobias Kuhn t.kuhn at gmx.ch
Thu Sep 17 07:57:34 CEST 2009

Hi Mark,

> As the question below suggests, this topic is fairly new to me.
>
> I am trying to encode a piece of legislation in OWL II.
>
> I was thinking of using Attempto to facilitate this process.  In
> particular, I was hoping to use the APE parser to generate OWL from ACE.
>
> However, I am finding that there are some OWL related constraints that
> prohibit this process.  Specifically, prepositions are not allowed and
> neither are adjectives.

Right. Prepositions and adjectives could certainly be represented in one or another way in OWL 2,
but the ACE->OWL translator that is part of the ACE parser (APE) does not support them.

> I am wondering if there have been any papers published on using ACE /
> APE to convert natural language into OWL.  Are there any work arounds to
> the (restrictive) problems described above.

The ACE->OWL translation is described in detail in the PhD thesis of Kaarel Kaljurand:

   http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/pubs/papers/phd_kaljurand.pdf

Since APE is open source, you can also check out the source code of the ACE->OWL translator and
change and extend it:

   http://attempto.ifi.uzh.ch/site/downloads/

The code for the ACE->OWL translator can be found in the directory "ape/utils/owlswrl/".

Cheers,
Tobias