[Attempto] ACE View : units are not implemented

Jean-Marc Vanel jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 15:46:24 CET 2010

2010/12/14 Kaarel Kaljurand <kaljurand at gmail.com>

> Hi Jean-Marc,
>
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 11:12, Jean-Marc Vanel <jeanmarc.vanel at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> I think there exist some proposals for conventions of how to specify
> measurement units in OWL.

 There are several Ontology defining Measurement and Units :
http://www.google.com/search?q=Measurement+Units+Ontology

There is a nice discussion on modeling quantities in RDF here :
http://esw.w3.org/InterpretationProperties

However, it does not mention a vey simple solution for units, that is
modeling units as datatypes, similar to XSD datatypes ; N3 example :

:building :height "20"^^:meter .

Which would give for "Peter owns 3 kg of apples" :

:Peter :own _:obj .
_:obj :aQuantityOf :Apple .
_:obj :weight "3"^^:kg.

This is just a possibility among many others; I didn't ahve time to look at
the Measurement+Units Ontologies. The upper level ontologies (SUMO, DOLCE,
BFO, etc) are worth looking at.

Note that the APE interpetation seems questionable, as a weight is , even by
etymology, a mass :

 ./ape.exe -guess -solo drspp -text 'p:Peter owns 3 kg of apples.'
[A, B]
object(A, apple, *countable*, kg, eq, 3)-1/8
predicate(B, own, named(Peter), A)-1/4

One of these conventions could be supported

--
Jean-Marc Vanel
Consulting, services, training,