[Attempto] reaching utility

Tobias Kuhn kuhntobias at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 16:25:23 CET 2010

Hi,

> AceWiki is a brilliant proof of concept and thanks very much for making it and related technology available.
>
> Now I want to make it useful, to me.  I know a fair bit of ACE and of course i have the preditor but still can't enter the sentences I want into AceWiki.  i think that it may be that the form of the sentence required for entry I wouldn't be satisfied with.  So i ask, Will AceWiki's current approach allow entry of all
> sentences that make sense to try and reason with, in your opinion, for general question answering and relational db front-end querying?  If no, is developing
> a way to allow the user to specify sentence-specific transformations to
> DRS possibly a good idea?  If yes, how? and, should AceWiki attempt to learn from
> these (where they don't conflict with its pre-existing interpretation
> rules)?

So what kind of sentences you would like to add to AceWiki but are not
supported?

I see that it can be hard to formulate complex knowledge in a way
AceWiki understands it. I think the predictive editor approach is a good
way to help users in this process, but it can still be hard.

I don't think that it's possible to support all "sentences that make
sense to try and reason with". This would probably be equally hard as to
process full natural language.

The aspect of user-driven extension of the language is a very
interesting one. Actually, I never thought about this. It could be an
interesting research area. A problem could be how to generalize from
ACE/DRS pairs to grammar rules.

> For the short term, it will help matters to be able to map a comment to a set of AceWiki
> sentences so i know exactly what knowledge I was attempting to
> represent. so I think i'll work on that (unless there's a better
> suggestion).

I am not sure whether I understand what you mean. What would happen with
sentences in a comment that do not comply with the ACE grammar?

> why does AceWiki sometimes disallow a proper noun where a noun is
> allowed?  (Tobias, thanks for your answer to the converse question on
> 12/18/09.)

What's the concrete example? In most cases, nouns are allowed at the
same positions as proper names but require an article like "a" or "every".

> Can ACE represent any legal DRS?

That depends on what you mean by "legal DRS". The DRSs produced by APE
are nowhere exhaustively defined. So there is no clearly defined "ACE
DRS language".

In general, it is easy to come up with a DRS that cannot be produced by
any ACE sentence. First of all, it is obvious that a DRS must contain
only the predefined predicates "object", "property", etc. to be mappable
to an ACE text. But just sticking to the given predicate definitions
does not necessarily lead to a DRS that has a representation in ACE.
There are further restrictions about predicates that have to occur
together and about how variables can be shared.

> Is the RACE source code available?

At the moment, no. But Norbert has plans to release the source code of
RACE, I think. He can give you more information.

Cheers,
Tobias