[Attempto] or is interpreted as inclusive or , or xor?

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Sun Jul 11 20:15:31 CEST 2010

On 11 Jul 2010, at 19:20, Jean-Marc Vanel wrote:

> My opinion is that Attempto can (and needs to) be augmented with more english syntaxes that are commonly used by humans. I think that there is no technical obstacle to that .

Concerning the first part

> My opinion is that Attempto can (and needs to) be augmented with more english syntaxes

I agree. The Attempto group has a long list of possible extensions, for instance temporal operators like "while", "until", before" etc. All these extensions – like the present constructs – fit into the framework of first-order logic.

Concerning the second part

> that are commonly used by humans. I think that there is no technical obstacle to that .

I maintain my statements in a preceding mail: there is a conceptual distinction between English and ACE.  I would call unrealistic any endeavour to process "English as commonly used by humans" in the same way as ACE. Current processing of natural language is relying more and more on statistical approaches.

> It's just that the Attempto team was more concerned by scientific achievement than by developing a software with all the desirable features, which is quite natural for an academic project.

You should have checked my cv first. I spent almost 15 years in industry (IBM, Siemens etc.) working with and designing specification languages. My work at the University of Zurich was mostly motivated by my industrial experiences. Uta Schwertel – one of my first collaborators – came from IBM as well.

> And now the issue is to make Attempto work more like a real Open Source project, with users, testers, bug trackers, roadmap, tutorials, etc .

OK, download the Attempto material and start. By the way, tutorials are already there.

Regards.