[Attempto] paraphrasing quantification

Norbert E. Fuchs fuchs at ifi.uzh.ch
Mon Jul 12 20:15:11 CEST 2010

On 12 Jul 2010, at 19:49, Jean-Marc Vanel wrote:

> 2010/7/12 Gabriele Kahlout <gabriele at mysimpatico.com>
> Hello,
> I'm wondering why "There are 3 cards" is not paraphrased in any 'intelligent' way, eg. "There is a card X1. There is a card X2. There is a card X3."
>
> First your proposed paraphrase is not semantically correct ACE (and FOL).
> There is no garanty that the 3 variables are distinct.
>
> A possible ACE paraphrase would be :
> ./ape.exe -guess -text 'p:X1 is a card. p:X2 is a card. p:X3 is a card. ' -solo paraphrase
> X1 is a card.
> X2 is a card.
> X3 is a card.
>
> A proper noun ( p: prefix ) is the way to "instanciate" a unique object.

Some comments.

Concerning Gabriele's  statements. First, ACE is a syntactic language that leaves interpretations – for instance the meaning of words, the meaning of the copula , or the meaning of collective plurals – to the users, respectively to their programs that process the DRS generated by APE. Second, consider that "intelligent" paraphrasing depends on the expectations of the respective user. Your expectations may differ from mine. Third, to provide a feedback to the users ACE's paraphrasing gives a *syntactic* variant of the input text, not a semantic one.

Concerning Jean-Marc's comments. Whether or two variables or two constants – expressed in ACE as proper nouns– refer to different or to the same object depends on the program that interprets the DRS. While RACE – like FOL –  uses the unique name assumption, OWL – generated by the ACE -> OWL translation – does not.

Regards.