[Attempto] executable specifications

Kenneth Jones kennethjone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 11:47:22 CET 2010

Norbert,

Thank you for filling in some of the gaps in my knowledge of your work prior
to ACE.  I was aware of your work with Schwitter, but not with Fromherz.  I
have been able to find some of the publications you and he published and
they look like very interesting reading for someone like me who is primarily
interested in using CNLs to write executable specifications.

I too am not sure that ACE has not been applied to specification writing in
industry, that's why I added "as far as I know" to my statement.  Actually,
someone else asserted that "ACE is not used at all in industrial context..."
and asked me why that was the case.  I thought, who better to ask than
Norbert Fuchs and Rolf Schwitter?

Rolf thinks that lack of good tool support is a large factor in the lack of
widespread adoption in industry.  I agree, and it's great to see the work
that you, Tobias, Kaarel, and Rolf are doing to create powerful and
easy-to-use tools.

It's also great to know you are still interested in executable
specifications.

I have a few more questions:

   - I have, for quite some time wanted to read your thesis, but I don't
   know German.  I have tried several of the free translation tools available
   on the web, but none seems to do a very good job of translating from German
   to English.  Do you happen to know of a translator that does a pretty good
   job of German-to-English translation?
   - Are you planning to include a Java API with you upcoming release of
   RACE?
   - What advantages does RACE have over ACE -> TPTP -> theorem prover?

Thanks,

-- Ken